The Malaysian Foundation for Sporting Excellence (SportExcel) organised a farewell high-tea on July 17 for 11 junior golfers who will be leaving for the United States on college golf scholarships later this year.
The farewell was held at the Royal Selangor Club and was attended by most of the juniors and their parents. They were joined by SportExcel chairman Tunku Tan Sri Imran Tuanku Ja’afar, Malaysian Ladies Golf Association (MALGA) president Tunku Puteri, Tunku Puan Sri Dato’ Seri Jawahir Tuanku Ja’afar and former Malaysian track queen Datuk Marina Chin who is the chef de mission for this year’s SEA Games in KL, along with other officials and dignitaries.
Each of the 11 juniors cut their competitive teeth on the SportExcel National Junior Circuit from as young as seven years old. They voiced their gratitude to the foundation for organising the circuit and giving them the chance to develop their competitive skills from an early age.
The 11 juniors heading to the US are:
- Aareishna Shahshty Balakrishnan – Jacksonville University, Florida
- Galven Kendall Green – University of New Mexico
- Nur Syazani Amalia Mohd Shahzan – University of Cincinnati, Ohio
- Jocelyn Chee Yimin, California Baptist University
- Siti Sarah Feizal Nor – University of Charleston, West Virginia
- Siti Zulaikhaa Shaari – University of South Alabama
- Warda Amirah Abdul Rawof – East Tennessee State University
- Geraldine Wong Xiao Xuan – University of Central Arkansas
- Junie Khaw Wen Jun – Tarleton State University, Texas
- Devaki Anatha Ganesh – University of Northwestern Ohio
- Jacqueline Nickels – Longwood University, Virginia